Acceptance of Terms
Modification of Terms
The CARTEEH Datahub reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any of the terms in this Agreement at any time without prior notice to Users. It is your responsibility to check the Agreement periodically for changes. Your continued use of the Service following the posting of any changes to the Agreement constitutes acceptance of those changes.
Account – A User-controlled means of access to the CARTEEH Datahub services that is protected by a User-created login username and password, with which Users can obtain access to the CARTEEH Datahub’s uploading and downloading functionalities.
Author – The person(s) from who posted the content to the CARTEEH Datahub. In the content of Metadata Information of datasets, author(s) refers to the dataset originator; the person(s) who conducted the research that led to the creation of the dataset. This persthe information has been previously released to the public; on can but need not be the same as the Depositor.
Content – Any information, data, text, software, scripts, graphics, and interactive features found on the CARTEEH Datahub services.
Curation – The actions of any User on the CARTEEH Datahub services that organize, shape, or otherwise edit the state, status, configuration, or content of any datasets. Data Use Agreement – This is the restricted data usage license agreement option that the CARTEEH Datahub offers. If applied to a User Submission, the Data Use Agreement will be a legally-binding license contract between the Depositor and any Downloader of that User Submission. Data Usage License Agreement – The license agreement between a Depositor and a Downloader governing the limits and restrictions (or lack thereof) of how the downloaded User Submissions can be used.
Dataset – A study, experiment, set of observations, or publication that is uploaded by a User. A dataset can comprise a single file or multiple files.
Depositor – The User who uploads a collection of data files as a dataset to the CARTEEH Datahub.
Download Data – Information collected whenever a dataset is downloaded, including but not limited to user account name, time of download, and downloaded file name.
Metadata – Accompanying information, either in a separate file or otherwise included in the dataset materials, about a particular dataset, including but not limited to Author’s name, publishing date, title of data contents, description of contents, and other such related information.
Publish – A function available for User Submissions by which Users can make their dataset containing data files publicly available and publicly searchable on the CARTEEH Datahub application search engine and third-party search engines (e.g., Google Search or Bing Search).
Registration Information – Information required to register for an Account, including but not limited to name, email, institution, position, and phone number.
Restricted User Submissions – Any User Submissions that are published with either CARTEEH Datahub’s Data Use Agreement or with a customized data usage license agreement that the Depositor drafts and/or designates for the Submission.
Service – the CARTEEH Datahub application and all of the available services, functions, and capabilities afforded on the application.
Site – the CARTEEH Datahub application and server.
Spamming – Any unauthorized or unsolicited advertising, junk or bulk e-mail, messages, comments, or other communications directly or indirectly stemming from use of the CARTEEH Datahub application, including but not limited to comments posted to Author’s dataset pages and messages or other communications sent to User’s email addresses, accounts, or other means of contact.
sufficient length of time – Any period of time as obligated by any pre-existing legal contract, such as with the subjects concerned in the research data, or with the institution that is sponsoring or that sponsored the research undertaking. If no such obligation exists, then the requisite length shall be any reasonable amount of time as designated by CARTEEH Datahub administrators in its sole discretion.
Unpublished Dataset – An uploaded dataset that has not yet been made available to the public and is viewable only to the Depositor or other users to whom the Depositor has granted access.
Unrestricted User Submissions – Any User Submissions that are published with a default CC0 default public domain dedication waiver agreement.
Use of Service – Any access to, use of, or other action involving the CARTEEH Datahub application’s functions, services, resources, and repository of datasets, including but not limited to any uploading, posting, submitting, storing, searching for, downloading, distributing, facilitating distributions, and otherwise utilizing any Content found on the CARTEEH Datahub application.
User – Any individual or entity who owns and/or controls a registered account on the CARTEEH Datahub.
User Submissions – Uploaded datasets.
User Uploads – Any uploaded, submitted, disclosed, distributed, or otherwise posted content by a User, including but not limited to new datasets, Metadata information, custom data usage license agreements, descriptive information for dataset download pages, user guides, and other contributions either originating from the User or originating from a third-party author who gave permission to the User to disseminate on the CARTEEH Datahub application.
General Rules of Conduct
In using the Service, you represent that you shall abide by all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations in your Use of the Service, and your Use of Service shall not:
- infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity or other right of any other person or entity;
- be unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another’s privacy, or otherwise offensive or unlawful;
- constitute Spamming;
- cause, introduce into the Service, or otherwise use software viruses or any other computer codes, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, damage, limit or interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment, or that are designed or intended to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any system, data files or other information of CARTEEH Datahub or any third party;
- impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the CARTEEH Datahub’s (or its third party providers’) infrastructure (to be determined by CARTEEH Datahub in its sole discretion);
- interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Service or any activities conducted on the Service; or
- bypass any measures the CARTEEH Datahub may use to prevent or restrict access to the Service (or other accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the Service).
As both a registered User and an unregistered Guest, you are able to download publicly available Content from the CARTEEH Datahub. As a condition to your gaining full Use of Service, you are required to register for and be logged into an Account on the CARTEEH Datahub. You shall provide the CARTEEH Datahub with accurate and complete Registration Information and regularly update such information to maintain its completeness and accuracy. Failure to do so may result in immediate termination of your Account.
The CARTEEH Datahub reserves the right to refuse registration of or cancel an Account in its sole discretion. You are solely responsible for activity that occurs on your Account and shall be responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Account password. You shall never use another user’s account without the other user’s express permission.
You will immediately notify the CARTEEH Datahub in writing of any unauthorized use of your account, or other account related security breach of which you are aware. In having an account on the Service, you acknowledge that:
- your account details (including first name, last name, email address, and username) are searchable by other Users;
- your account details may be recorded when you download datasets, and that information can then be viewed by the owner of the User Upload; and
- your first name, last name, and affiliation will be displayed on the Service in connection with your User Uploads.
The Service provides you with the ability to post User Uploads to other datasets administered by other Users. The Service also allows you to share datasets with other Users by searching for their first name, last name, email address, or username.
The Service also gives each Administrator the ability to change dataset access/download restrictions by designating User Uploads as Restricted User Submissions. Datasets are by default unpublished, but Depositors can modify the access restrictions and Publish or deaccession any User Uploads at any time. The Depositors may also change dataset access/download restrictions by designating User Uploads as Restricted User Submissions.
The CARTEEH Datahub has no obligation to monitor the Site, Service, Content, or User Uploads. The CARTEEH Datahub may remove any User Upload at any time for any reason (including, but not limited to, upon receipt of claims or allegations from third parties or authorities relating to such User Upload), or for no reason at all.
You acknowledge that the CARTEEH Datahub does not endorse, take responsibility for, or make any representations or warranties for any User Uploads, and will not be liable for 1) User Upload content, format, Metadata, or lack thereof; 2) representations or warranties made by the User about the User Uploads; and 3) any loss of or damage to User Uploads, either in whole or in part, from whatever cause.
By posting User Uploads, or by allowing others to do so, you make the following representations and warranties to the CARTEEH Datahub
- User Uploads do not infringe upon the copyrights or other intellectual property rights, including, but not limited to patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity or other right of any third party;
- User Uploads do not violate any laws;
- in the event you become aware of any issues after submitting a User Upload, you will promptly notify the CARTEEH Datahub and the relevant Administrator(s) of any confidentiality, privacy or data protection, licensing, or intellectual property issues regarding the User Uploads;
- User Uploads do not contain software viruses or any other computer codes, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, damage, limit or interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment or to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any system, data files, or other information of the CARTEEH Datahub or any third party;
- User Uploads have been given all relevant, obligatory, and applicable approvals for posting such materials with the content included and in the format uploaded, including but not limited to approvals from the Institutional Review Board and third parties with whom Users have relevant contractual obligations; and
- User Uploads must be void of all personally identifiable information, such that re-identification of any subjects from the amalgamation of the information available from all of the materials (across dataset) uploaded under any one author and/or User should not be possible. Specifically, User Uploads cannot contain social security numbers; credit card numbers; medical record numbers; health plan numbers; other account numbers of individuals; or biometric identifiers (fingerprints, retina, voice print, DNA, etc.). The only exceptions for when identifiable information is allowed are when:
- the information has been previously released to the public;
- the information describes public figures, where the data relates to their public roles or other non-sensitive subjects;
- a sufficient length of time has passed since the collection of the information;
- all identified subjects have given explicit informed consent allowing the public release of the information in the dataset; or
- all identified subjects are deceased and no federal statute explicitly restricts the release of the data (this exception is only for federal records where data is created by a U.S. federal government agency or under a federal contract).
Licenses and Permissions to the CARTEEH Datahub
You grant to the CARTEEH Datahub all necessary permissions and required licenses to make the Content you submit or deposit available for archiving, preservation and access. This includes, without restriction, permission to:
- describe, catalog, and document the User Submissions;
- store, translate, copy or re-format the Content in any way to ensure its future preservation and accessibility, and improve usability and/or protect respondent confidentiality; and
- incorporate Metadata or documentation in the Content into public access catalogues.
None of the above supersedes any prior contractual obligations with third parties that require any information to be kept confidential. Nothing in this Agreement obligates you to disclose information to the CARTEEH Datahub if such information is otherwise confidential or proprietary. The CARTEEH Datahub does not approve User Uploads before they are posted; therefore, you are solely responsible for the User Submissions you post on or through the Service and all possible confidentiality or other privacy issues that may arise from your posting any User Uploads.
User Submission Data Usage License Agreement
You acknowledge that the CARTEEH Datahub default data usage license agreement for all uploaded materials is a Creative Commons Zero (“CC0”) Public Domain Dedication Waiver. For more information, please visit Creative Commons Zero Full Legal Text ( https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode).
Users also have the option of drafting a custom data usage license agreement. By choosing to draft a custom data usage license agreement for a particular dataset, users represent that:
- they have written themselves or have permission to use the language of the data usage license agreement they choose;
- the data usage license agreement covers all restrictions and protections they wish to retain and will not rely on the Site to provide any further protections or restrictions;
- they are solely responsible for ensuring the data usage license agreement is legally sound and that the Site is not responsible for anything included; and
- nothing in the data usage license agreement conflicts with, supersedes, or limits any prior contractual obligations on the part of the User, any third parties, downloaders, or the Sit
Users also have the option of choosing to use the CARTEEH Datahub’s restricted data usage license agreement (“Data Use Agreement”). By choosing to use the Data Use Agreement, users acknowledge and agree that:
- The CARTEEH Datahub owes no obligation or responsibility and makes no representations with regards to the legality, enforceability, accuracy, or desirability of the Data Use Agreement;
- The CARTEEH Datahub is not a party to the Data Use Agreement and cannot be held accountable for any terms found within the Data Use Agreement; and
- The CARTEEH Datahub has no obligation to aid or support either party of the Agreement in the execution or enforcement of the Data Use Agreement’s terms. Users are responsible for establishing, maintaining, and enforcing the license terms they wish to use for access to and use of User Uploads. The CARTEEH Datahub is not responsible for any inaccuracies, unenforceable terms, or liabilities that may arise from choosing any of the options afforded in this Agreement, and the CARTEEH Datahub will not be responsible for reviewing or enforcing compliance of any terms the User may choose to employ.
Downloading User Submissions
- will abide by the applicable data usage license agreement attached to the dataset;
- acknowledge that their account information (for Users) or temporary site identification information (for Guests) may be recorded upon download, which can then be viewed by the owner of the User Upload; and
- have done their due diligence in ensuring that they do not download and use any datasets or other materials where prohibited by applicable law.
THE SERVICE (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL CONTENT AND USER UPLOADS) IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ANY WARRANTIES IMPLIED BY ANY COURSE OF PERFORMANCE OR USAGE OF TRADE, ALL OF WHICH ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THE CARTEEH DATA HUB DOES NOT WARRANT THAT: (A) THE CONTENT OR USER UPLOADS ARE TIMELY, ACCURATE, COMPLETE, RELIABLE OR CORRECT IN THEIR POSTED FORMS ON THE SERVICE; (B) THE SERVICE WILL BE SECURE ; (C) THE SERVICE WILL BE AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME OR LOCATION; (D) ANY DEFECTS OR ERRORS WILL BE CORRECTED; (E) THE SITE, CONTENT OR ANY USER UPLOADS ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS; OR (F) THE RESULTS OF USING THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS. YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE AND ANY CONTENT IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE CARTEEH DATA HUB AND ITS AFFILIATES, OR THEIR DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS, OR SUPPLIERS, BE LIABLE UNDER CONTRACT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY, NEGLIGENCE OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE OR ANY CONTENT OR USER SUBMISSIONS (I) FOR ANY DIRECT DAMAGES, OR (II) FOR ANY LOST PROFITS OR SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER.
Integration and Severability